I wrote the below letter to my kids several years ago and put it in their memory box for them to read when they are older. I was looking back on things I have written and found this, I wanted to share because this website is just another step I have taken to try and stay on track to meet the lessons below.
To My Beloved Children,
Every day I make a wish for you to live and grow to be healthy, strong, happy, smart, and successful. I also make a wish for us as you parents to have the same so that we can be better to help you find your happiness and achieve your goals.
As you grown into adults, I hope that I can teach each of you the six lessons that I feel are most important to your happiness and wellbeing.
1. Be Healthy: I love fast food, pizza, cookies, and everything else that is so good but so freaking bad for a body as much as everyone else (maybe a little bit more) but teach yourself to eat in moderation. I promise there is not going to be a shortage in cookies anytime soon and all this yummy stuff will be available though out your life, or something even better will take its place. This is the only body you will ever have and you will need it for the next 95 years. Staying active, exercising, and having a good diet will also help your mind stay sharp and keep you motivated to achieve your dreams.
2. Be Strong: Life is going to throw you a lot of curve balls. Things are going to happen that you didn’t expect and the things that you expected to happen will never take place. Sometimes it will be for the better and other times you will feel deep disappointment. It’s okay to be sad, disappointed, angry, and confused these are all emotions that make us human. The important thing that I want you to remember it to work through it. Don’t get stuck in a pit of despair. Life is going to be a very long series of trial and errors and most people only achieve a handful of successes. Pick apart the experience. If there was a mistake made, learn from it and try something else to get to where you want to be. If you lose a person you loved for any reason be it a romantic interest, friendship that fell apart, or someone passes away, try to focus on the love and happy memories you shared and be thankful for the time you had with them. Nothing is forever and everything will change at some point. Take the good of every experience and keep it in your heart, but remember the bad ones to so you don’t make the same mistake twice.
3. Be Happy: There is a saying “Do what you love and love what you do”. Unfortunately a lot of people never really figure out what they love doing and settle for something that they are content with always feeling like there is something missing from their life. I pray that your father and I have the ability to expose you to all the different activities that spark your interest and help your curiosity about the world around you grow. I want you to always try new things (that you know for sure will not result in only harm to yourself such as drugs), never shy away or be afraid when an opportunity arises. I want you to know what makes you happy and what does not. I want you to live “doing what you love and loving what you do”.
4. Be Smart: When I say to be smart, I don’t mean you have to win several rounds of Jeopardy. Although it is very important to have a good education and to get as much from school as possible, being smart goes beyond the classroom. Being smart is learning how to manage yourself and your emotions. It’s making mistakes and learning to do better. Be aware of what is happening in the world around you, from your neighborhood, to our federal government, to other countries. When you are young you will not realize just how much your life can be affected by what is happening at the White House or in Saudi Arabia, but it can and most likely will be. Going back to knowing what makes you happy will work with your awareness of the people and the world around you. When you see that other people’s agendas may take away something that makes you happy you can try and find a solution to stop it. Or, at the very least prepare for it. Being smart is using a compilation of all of your experiences up to this point and using them to keep moving forward in a way that is positive for your life. Never stop asking questions, never stop learning.
5. Be Successful: Success is in the eye of the beholder. No one can tell you what true success is, it’s something that you feel within yourself, within your own heart. Your parents, your sibling, your best friend, a stranger at Wal-Mart, society, can give you their own opinions of what it means to be successful but it really is just one of those things that varies from person to person. In my opinion, being successful is living by the first four things listed. Being Healthy, Strong, Happy, and Smart because it’s in these things that you will discover love. Love for Life, Love for people, and you will Love Yourself. Finding your passions and people to help fuel them is in my opinion as successful as you can get.
6. You Are Loved: This is something more for you to know than to learn. As cliché as you may think it sounds, from the day we found out I was pregnant, you were loved. Since that day our love for you has only gotten stronger and stronger. There is nothing that you can do, no mistake you can make, that will ever change that. There will be a lot of good times, but there will also be times when we don’t see eye to eye and there will be times when we fight or argue, that’s all part of human relationships. You need to know that no matter what happens as you grow into an adult and even once you become an adult, that there are two people in this world who love you more than anyone else possibly can. You need to know that you can come to us for anything at any point in your life because there is nothing you can say or do that is going to change the way we feel for you. It is so important to me that you know that we love you, you will never know just how much until you have your own children, but I assure you that either one of us would gladly sacrifice anything if it means you will have a better life. I can only pray that there is not a day that goes by that you ever think that no one loves you, because that will never be the truth.
I look forward to the many adventures we are going to have as a family and to watch the two of you grow.
I love you always and forever,